I am a clinical counsellor and psychotherapist with a private practice in Castle Hill, Bella Vista, Hill Districts, Sydney who works with individuals and couples to help them overcome the emotional pain of stress and relationship difficulties.
Prior to doing counselling with me, many of my clients have struggled with their emotional pain for a long time, longing to find a way to feel happier and relate positively to others and enjoy the life they want.
It is my privilege to be able to help my clients overcome depression, anxiety and relationship problems and feel happier about their life and their relationships.
How I became a counsellor and psychotherapist
I have worked in the health field for over 30 years, initially training and working for a number of years as a registered general nurse in both hospital and community settings.
I then developed an interest in mental health and trained as a psychiatric nurse after which I worked in both public and private psychiatric hospitals, often working with clients with depression, including post natal depression, anxiety and bipolar disorder. This was an area which greatly interested me.
Having worked on a voluntary basis for a few years as a LifeLine Counsellor, I developed a desire to change my career and become a counsellor.
I attended university where I received my Bachelor of Counselling degree, majoring in grief and loss. At the same time I did a Diploma in Individual, Couple and Family Therapy. These involved intensive clinical practice, as well as an internship at a counselling agency, which enabled me to develop my clinical skills in working with both individuals and couples, incorporating various theories, approaches and techniques.
My interest in working with clients with depression, anxiety and grief continued and I discovered that I also enjoyed working with couples.
I discovered that talk therapy alone was not always effective and the best outcomes resulted when my clients could access and understand their emotional experiences.
This led me to continue my studies with a Post Graduate Diploma in Emotionally Focused Therapy. This diploma was not just theoretical but also helped me do my own emotional work, leading to my own personal growth and healing. This means that my own extensive personal and professional development benefits you in the work we do together
For the past 14 years I have worked from my private practice based at Castle Hill, Bella Vista, Kellyville and Hill Districts.
- Bachelor of Counselling (UNE)
- Graduate Diploma in EFT ( Institute of Emotionally Focused Therapy)
- Diploma of Individual, Couple & Family Therapy (Unifam)
- Mental health Nursing Course Phase 1 (Psychiatric Nursing)
- Registered General Nursing Certificate
- Associate Diploma in Community Health Nursing
- Mothercraft Nursing Certificate
- Meditation Instructor
- Clinical member of Psychotherapists and Counsellors Federation of Australia (PACFA)
- The Counsellors and Psychotherapists Association of NSW (CAPA)
Counsellor and Psychotherapy Education and Skills Training
- Bachelor of Counselling
- Graduate Diploma in Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Diploma of Individual, Couple & Family Therapy
- Mental Health Phase 1
- Emotionally Focused Therapy & Complex Trauma
- EFT Studio 1: Depression
- EFT Studio 2 : Mindfullness
- Management Chronic Pain Using CBT & Relaxation
- Introduction to Transactional Analysis 101
- EFT Studio : The Inner Voice
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
- Individual Supervision
- Working With ‘Hard To Hold Patients’ In Therapy
- Healing Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Attachment Theory
- Individual Counselling – EFT
- Individual Therapy 1 – EFT
- Individual Therapy 2 – EFT
- Regression & Physical Contact – EFT
- Multiple Chair Work
- Fear & Anxiety
- Anger Workshop
- Sadness, Loss & Grief
- Shame Workshop
- Integration of EFT & Solution Focused Therapy
- Counselling Skills 11
- Foundations for Emotionally Focused Work
- Transforming Problems – A Key To Happiness
- Couple Assessment – EFT
- Couple Therapy – EFT
- Emotions In Couple Work – EFT
- Couple Counselling – EFT
- Creative Couple Work – EFT
- Couple Work & Inner Child
- Getting The Love You Want–Imago Couples Therapy
Colleen Hurll was my counsellor during some stressful times of my life. I found her extremely helpful and insightful in helping me cope with my various situations. She is a great listener, always manages to look at your situation in an objective fashion and is never judgemental. I feel and I have a very happy and complete life now and I have Colleen to thank for helping me achieve that. I would recommend Colleen’s services to anyone who is in need of any kind of help in regards to getting back control of their lives. ~Judy
Are you ready to take the first step living the life you want?
If so, call now on 0413 181 320 to discuss your situation with a FREE 15-minute phone consultation.